Jonathan Silberstein, M.D.
- Jonathan Silberstein was recruited to join the faculty at Tulane University School of Medicine in 2013 from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. He is the Chief of the Section of Urologic Oncology at Tulane and works closely with medical oncologists and radiation oncologists to find the correct individualized treatment for each patient and does not believe in a one size fits all approach.
- He treats and cares for all patients with localized and advanced urologic malignancies including prostate cancer, bladder cancer, kidney cancer and testis cancer.
- He is a leader in robotic surgery and has a great deal of experience performing robotic prostatectomies, robotic partial (trans and retroperitoneal), radical nephrectomies and robotic cystectomies, with and without intracorporeal urinary diversion.
- He utilizes the robot when appropriate for the patient and uses open surgery when he believes that will result in a better oncologic outcome.
- He was born and raised in New York City and earned his medical degree at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse.
- Completed his general surgery internship and his urology residency at the University of California in San Diego.
- After completing chief residency in San Diego he spent the next three years at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, a premiere center in the United States for the management of surgical oncology.
- At Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center he completed a fellowship and junior faculty position treating patients from around the globe with extremely complex and challenging cancer diagnoses.
- Following his residency, Dr. Silberstein completed a fellowship in urologic oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- He is the author of more than 60 peer-reviewed publications and several book chapters- demonstrating his commitment both to his patients and moving the field forward.
- He is also the winner of numerous awards from national and international meetings and is a reviewer and editor for several prominent urologic journals.
Achievements and appointments include:
- Named Assistant Chief of Surgery at the Southeast Louisiana Medical Center
- AUA 2015, New Orleans: Best Video Abstract- Award Winning Video
- Live Surgery at the 2015 AUA
- Cover of Urology Gold Journal (Physical Models of Renal Malignancies Using 3D Printers) Vol 84, Number 2, August 2014
Contact our office for more information or for an appointment with Dr. Silberstein.