Robotic Urologic Surgery
As the leader of robotic surgery in the Gulf South region, Tulane Urology is one of several training sites for robotic surgery in the world. The da Vinci® Surgical System is simply the most advanced tool available for urologic and gynecologic procedures. Instead of making large incisions as in traditional surgery, the robot only requires a series of small incisions. This means less blood loss and less scarring. Also, because of the minimally invasive nature of the procedure, patients recover very quickly and can usually renew normal activity within a week. In addition, Tulane Urology’s team approach allows multiple doctors from different areas of urologic specialties to easily collaborate on a particular case.
Did You know?
- Tulane Urology was the first institution to perform robotic urologic surgery in the entire gulf south.
- Raju Thomas performed the first Da Vinci procedure in 2002.
- Tulane Urology is the first and most experienced in robotic urologic surgery in the Gulf South
- Since then, we have become regional leaders in managing:
- Prostate cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Partial Nephrectomies meant to save kidneys
during kidney cancer treatment
- Reconstructive Bladder Surgery
- And Many More
WHAT PATIENTS ARE SAYING...
Dr. Spencer Krane
New intake with Dr. Spencer Krane went great! He took the time to listen to me and come up with a plan that makes sense. It's nice when you find a physician that fits. Thanks!
Advanced Prostate Cancer Can Be Successfully Treated
Men with advanced prostate cancer can be treated with androgen derivation therapy. ADT reduces the testosterone level which often serves as fuel for prostate cancer cells.