Wayne JG Hellstrom, M.D., FACS
- Graduated from McGill University – 1981
- Surgery Residency – McGill University – 1981 – 1983
- Residency – (Urology) University of California at San Francisco, 1983-1986
- AUA Scholar / Fellowship (Andrology) – University of California at Davis, 1986-1988
- Board Certification, American Board of Urology, 1988
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons, 1990
- Full-time faculty at Tulane since 1988
- Significant experience in microsurgical reconstruction, diagnostic ultrasound, advanced male infertility procedures, and latest therapeutic modalities for erectile dysfunction, Peyronie’s disease, premature ejaculation, testosterone deficiency and replacement therapy.
Dr. Wayne J.G. Hellstrom is Professor of Urology and Chief of Andrology (male infertility and sexual dysfunction) at Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, where he has been since 1988. His practice is specialized in the diagnosis and treatment of sexual dysfunction including Peyronie’s disease, surgical and vascular reconstruction, prosthetic surgery, male infertility (both surgical and medical therapies), BPH, and urethral stricture disease.
A clinician, author, and lecturer, Hellstrom has published approximately 400 peer-reviewed articles in professional publications and has contributed numerous chapters in textbooks. He also is the editor of “Male Infertility and Sexual Dysfunction” and “The Handbook of Sexual Dysfunction” and Androgen Deficiency and Testosterone Replacement: Current Controversies and Strategies.”
Dr. Hellstrom earned his undergraduate and medical degrees at McGill University in Montreal, completed his urology residency at the University of California at San Francisco, and his AUA Scholarship / Fellowship at the University of California at Davis. He has been awarded many honors in the field of urology, male infertility, and erectile dysfunction.
Appointments and achievements include:
- Chief, Section of Andrology (Male Infertility and Sexual Dysfunction)
- President of the International Society of Sexual Medicine (ISSM)
- Past President of the Sexual Medical Society of North America
- Past President of the American Society of Andrology
- Reviewer on Editorial Board on numerous journals
- Associate Editor for Urology (Gold) journal
- Editorial Board, Journal of Sexual Medicine
- Editorial Board, Journal of Urology
WHAT PATIENTS ARE SAYING...
You turned my life around
Dr. Baum has taken care of my elderly father for many years. He has an elevated PSA level but Dr. Baum has explained the concept of "wacthful waiting" and I and my father appreciate this plan of management.
Advanced Prostate Cancer Can Be Successfully Treated
Men with advanced prostate cancer can be treated with androgen derivation therapy. ADT reduces the testosterone level which often serves as fuel for prostate cancer cells.
PSA Testing For Prostate Cancer-What’s the New Guidelines
PSA Testing For Prostate Cancer-To Screen or Not Screen, What’s the Answer?
I am frequently asked by patients about screening for prostate cancer with PSA testing. This article will discuss the evidence as well as my recommendations for my patients.
3525 Prytania St, Suite 614
New Orleans, LA 70115
In The News
Sex & Seniors