Raju Thomas, M.D., FACS, FRCS, MHA
Dr. Thomas was named Chair of the Department of Urology at Tulane University Medical Center in New Orleans, Louisiana, effective March 1, 1996. He is also a Professor of Urology and the Residency Program Director for the Department of Urology. Dr. Thomas obtained his medical degree from the University of Bombay, India in 1975 and subsequently graduated in 1982 from the Urology residency program at Tulane University. He completed a fellowship program at the Tulane Primate Center co-sponsored by the American Urological Association and the National Kidney Foundation.
Dr. Thomas’ primary interests are in minimally invasive urologic surgery, including: laparoscopy, robotic surgery, and endourologic procedures. He has pioneered several innovative endoscopic and surgical procedures, and developed the principles for their use. He has promoted radical perineal prostatectomy in conjunction with laparoscopy as a minimally morbid alternative for management of prostate cancer. His career has been dedicated to finding minimally invasive therapy alternatives to urologic surgery.
His experience has earned him a place in advanced continuing medical education programs around the U.S. and the world. Dr. Thomas has authored over 150 scientific articles, abstracts, and book chapters. He is a member of several national and international scientific societies and is a peer reviewer for several urologic journals. Dr. Thomas’ career highlights include Presidency of the SES-AUA and the 31st World Congress of Endourology, but, above all, his rescuing and rebuilding the Department of Urology at Tulane University following Hurricane Katrina in 2005 counts as his greatest personal achievement.
- Co-director of Endourology, Laparoscopy, and Robotic Surgery
- Graduated from Seth G.S. Medical College of the University of Bombay, India Medical School in 1974
- Residency at Tulane University, New Orleans LA in 1982.
- Fellowship with the American Urological Association and National Kidney Foundation, 1979-1980
- Board Certification: American Board of Urology, 1984
- Full-time faculty at Tulane since 1982
- Significant experience in basic and complex endourological procedures, including diagnostic, therapeutic and reconstructive. Pioneered several innovative surgical techniques and principles. Authored over 50 publications. Conducts and participates in advanced continuing medical education (CME) activities around the U.S. and the world.
- Listed in “Best Doctors in America” chapters and several Continuing Medical Educational (CME) activities.
WHAT PATIENTS ARE SAYING...
You turned my life around
Dr. Baum has taken care of my elderly father for many years. He has an elevated PSA level but Dr. Baum has explained the concept of "wacthful waiting" and I and my father appreciate this plan of management.
Advanced Prostate Cancer Can Be Successfully Treated
Men with advanced prostate cancer can be treated with androgen derivation therapy. ADT reduces the testosterone level which often serves as fuel for prostate cancer cells.
PSA Testing For Prostate Cancer-What’s the New Guidelines
PSA Testing For Prostate Cancer-To Screen or Not Screen, What’s the Answer?
I am frequently asked by patients about screening for prostate cancer with PSA testing. This article will discuss the evidence as well as my recommendations for my patients.
3525 Prytania St, Suite 614
New Orleans, LA 70115
In The News
Sex & Seniors